Who we are
The Get Bear Smart Society works hard to ensure people and bears safely and respectfully coexist. We have helped create a paradigm shift in people's attitudes toward bears and other wildlife by replacing fear and misunderstanding with respect and understanding.
Our goal is to minimize the number of bears killed as a result of human-caused problems. We accomplish this by helping the public prevent conflict at their homes, work and play; championing policymakers to create Bear Smart communities; and encouraging police and bear managers to choose non-lethal bear management practices.
Order your copies of Joy of Bears
The Bear Necessities
A Bear's Bill of Rights
A bear has the right to expect that you will:
- be an educated resident of bear country and be willing to accommodate the needs of bears into your lifestyle and daily habits
- have realistic expectations about living in bear country; to realize that is unacceptable to attract bears to your property with improperly stored garbage, recycling, bird feeders, smelly compost, and barbecue grease among other enticing non-natural attractants
- set aside the necessary time to properly dispose of your garbage; clean your barbecue; and pick ripe fruit from your trees
- take responsibility for your actions in a bear's habitat while hiking and camping
- be aware that you share roads and pathways with bears as well as other wildlife and give wildlife the right-of-way
- provide a healthy, unpolluted environment for bears to live in; and to leave places where bears can forage, raise their families and find dens
Program highlight: Bear Smart Restaurant program in full swing
Do you work at a restaurant? Check out our bear smart restaurant program here.
Watch a short video about getting bear smart on the job.
Courses of Interest
WEBINAR: Join My Charity Connects for FREE hour-long information sessions that will cover topics relating to online technology and fundraising. Learn more.
FREE WEBINARS for Non Profits: See list for May 2014.
Improve your collective ability to address the root causes of conservation conflicts. Check out available courses at: Human-Wildlife Conflict Collaboration.
Cambridge e-Learning Institute offers online courses in animal welfare, animal ethics, animal behaviour, critical thinking and more.
Taking Action for Animals: This exciting biennial educational conference is designed to motivate, inform, and inspire anyone who'd like to make a difference for animals. During TAFA you'll learn about issues ranging from factory farming to animal fighting and leave with the tools to take action.
Date: June 27-30, 2014
Bear Smart for Your: